Pax traffic at Mumbai International Airport surpasses pre-COVID levels

Terminal 2 Mumbai Airport

MRO AUSAfter a successful start of the year in January, Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA), announced over 4 million passengers passed through in February 2023, passing the pre-COVID mark, implying a robust demand for air travel through Mumbai. The rise in passenger volume is led by growing demand for domestic leisure travel and various other segments of travel, across India as well as the continued passenger confidence in CSMIA.

The year 2023 started on a positive note, with CSMIA catering to around 4.5 million passengers in January. CSMIA hosted over 4 million passengers across 24,292 flights, which is 57 percent higher when compared to February 2022 flight movements. Of the overall passenger movement, the airport witnessed approximately 75 percent domestic passenger traffic and the remaining 25 percent was the share for international passengers. Moreover, with 3.9 million passenger traffic recorded in February 2020, the airport has achieved a 2 percent growth over the pre-COVID levels.

On 12 February, the overall domestic air passenger traffic touched 4,37,800 on 2,935 departures in a single day across India. India’s Civil Aviation Ministry said “Indian Aviation reaches new heights as domestic aviation operations soar higher with the highest ever post-COVID passenger movement.”

Dubai, London, and Abu Dhabi continue to hold the top spot as the three international destinations with highest passenger traffic through Mumbai. Similarly, Delhi, Bengaluru, and Goa continue to retain their position as the top three preferred domestic destinations. CSMIA currently acts as a gateway to 65 domestic and 47 international destinations for passengers from Mumbai and its surrounding areas.

For Editorial Inquiries Contact:
Editor Matt Driskill at
For Advertising Inquiries Contact:
Head of Sales Kay Rolland at


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here