American plane maker Boeing recently released its 2020 Global Environment report, highlighting how the company hopes to sustainably design and build products while conserving resources and reducing waste across its global operations. The company said it has set ambitious 2025 environmental goals – which include significant reductions in emissions, waste, and water and energy consumption.
“Our ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability is important to our overall strategy,” said Greg Smith, Boeing executive vice president of Enterprise Operations, chief financial officer and interim leader of Communications. “Innovation is part of Boeing’s DNA and we apply this inventiveness to help solve the fundamental global challenge of climate change.”
Boeing is working to achieve its environmental goals by 2025, which include reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent; water use and solid waste to landfill by 20 percent; energy use by 10 percent; and hazardous waste by 5 percent at worksites. Boeing’s 2019 environmental highlights include:
- Developing new products that are 15 percent to 25 percent more efficient in support of the aerospace industry’s goal to achieve global carbon-neutral growth in 2020 and drive a 50 percent reduction in carbon emissions by 2050.
- Offering airline customers the option to fly their new airplanes home on sustainable fuel.
- Securing more renewable energy to power operations by joining the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance, a community of large energy buyers accelerating a zero-carbon energy future.
- Reducing solid waste sent to landfills by 15 percent and water consumption by 7 percent since 2017, significantly advancing the company’s goal to drive a 20 percent reduction in both metrics by 2025.
- Launching the 777 ecoDemonstrator flying test bed to assess sustainable technologies, including new wing fin technology that improves efficiency during takeoff and landing and could save airlines millions of gallons of fuel each year.
- Collaborating with external partners and local non-profits to support environmental sustainability through educational outreach, community involvement, land conservation and habitat restoration.
- Receiving an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for Sustained Excellence for the 10th consecutive year.