Hong Kong airport has rough January: Traffic figures at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) saw decreases in January 2020. During the month, HKIA handled 5.7 million passengers and 33,210 flight movements, representing year-on-year decreases of 11.7 percent and 9.1 percent, respectively. Cargo throughput dropped 10.4 percent compared to the same month last year, to 359,000 tonnes. Overall passenger traffic to/from mainland China, South Korea and Southeast Asia recorded the most significant decreases in January. Visitor traffic remained weak, showing a year-on-year decrease of 43 percent. Vivian Cheung, executive director, Airport Operations of Airport Authority Hong Kong (AA) said: “HKIA’s traffic has been affected by multiple factors, including the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in late January and social circumstances. We expect to see continued decline in traffic numbers in February as airlines have suspended flights and governments in different markets have implemented immigration restrictions and quarantine measures. The AA has stepped up cleaning and disinfection work in the terminal and passenger facilities, and continues to work closely with the Port Health Division of the Department of Health and our business partners regarding disease prevention work at the airport.”
Trenchard Aviation Group secures FAA certification: Trenchard Aviation Group said its MRO facility in Dubai, Aero Technics FZCO, has been confirmed as an approved Repair Station by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Serving airlines across the Middle East region, Aero Technics’ facility offers a wide range of services, from repair of crew seats, galley inserts, megaphones, emergency locator transmitter, cabin and flight handsets to the overhaul of oxygen assemblies, fire extinguishers, and emergency evacuation systems including slides, rafts, life vests and smoke hoods.
SIA Engineering to invest in Pos Aviation Engineering in Malaysia: SIA Engineering (SIAEC) announced it has entered into an agreement with Pos Aviation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Pos Malaysia Berhad, to acquire a 49 percent stake in Pos Aviation Engineering Services (PAES). Under the agreement, Pos Aviation will retain the remaining 51 percent stake. PAES has operations in Kuala Lumpur International Airport and nine other stations in Malaysia. These stations will complement SIAEC’s existing network of Line Maintenance International stations, which will grow to 46 airports in 9 countries including Singapore.
Survey says pilots are stressed: Many airline pilots feel stressed and undervalued by management and, despite record demand for flight crew globally, worried about job security and automation making their role redundant. Those are among the findings of a survey by pilot and aviation recruiter GOOSE Recruitment and aviation publisher FlightGlobal, which polled more than 1,300 working pilots worldwide on attitudes to their work. Despite a perception that a cockpit career is glamorous, well-rewarded and a job for life, the survey reveals that pilots often feel anxious and insecure. Findings include:
- 40 percent of pilots feel “most stressed” by their dealings with management, with rotations – the number of airport turnarounds they must carry out in a day – the second biggest contributor to stress;
- 59 percent feel their employer does not care about their wellbeing;
- More than half of pilots have worried about losing their job in the past two years;
- 29 percent of pilots do not plan to fly to retirement age;
- 43 percent would not recommend a career as a pilot to young people;
- 40 percent of pilots are concerned that autonomous technology will make the role of the pilot redundant.
Among other findings, pilots rate work-life balance as the highest priority when choosing a flying job, ahead of salary, company culture, training and career development. Interestingly, the list is almost reversed for pilots at the start of their career, who give company culture the highest rating, with work-life balance the least important. The survey also reveals that Lufthansa, Air France and Virgin Atlantic are the three airlines pilots would most want to work for.
EGYPTAIR takes delivery of A320neo: EGYPTAIR has taken delivery of its first of 15 A320neo family aircraft, on lease from AerCap, becoming the first airline in Africa and Middle East to operate both the A320neo and A220. Alongside the A220, the A320neo will be an integral part of EGYPTAIR’s fleet modernisation plan that will replace its existing ageing single-aisle fleet. EGYPTAIR’s A320neo is powered by CFM Leap 1 engines and configured in a two-class cabin with 142 seats. This will include 16 Business Class seats an Economy cabin with 126 seats.